Personalized and high-quality services are what modern customers look for in all spheres and industries. Healthcare is no exception. A patient portal allows clients to instantly access their personal data and conveniently connect with their healthcare providers. The use of patient portal software is thriving today. More than 50% of patients are utilizing online portals to access their data, and about 90% of doctors have implemented digital healthcare tools.
Indeed, an integrated cloud-based system may address numerous issues concerning the interaction between patients and healthcare specialists. On the other hand, governments are also pushing for the digitalization of medical records. Therefore, digital online solutions are an optimal way forward.
What is a Medical Patient Portal?
A patient portal is a secure online resource that can be accessed by a patient at any time. This is a place where clients can address various kinds of healthcare needs which include viewing and managing their health information and many more. The main goal of patient portals, however, is enhancing the interaction between patients and their doctors.
With patient portals, numerous tasks can be fulfilled quicker and easier. Thus, patients are enabled to take an active role in their communication with healthcare providers. They can schedule an appointment with their physicians, chat with them, or learn educational materials. Healthcare experts, in turn, can seamlessly view the diagnostic results of their patients.
According to healthcare professionals, here are the most critical features that patient portal software can provide.
Benefits of Patient Portals
Regardless of the platform type selected by a healthcare institution, the solution benefits both patients and medical practitioners. Let’s dive into the specific advantages delivered by patient portal software.
Growth for a healthcare institution
Investing in patient portal development means implementing a customer-centric approach, which is dominating the modern medical industry. With such a portal, more patients will be able to get easy and secure access to their healthcare information, while a healthcare institution will be capable of efficiently serving a greater number of clients.
Healthcare operations become smoother and faster with patient portal software. An opportunity to schedule an appointment online releases the burden from front-desk staff. Urgent questions can be conveniently discussed by patients directly with their doctors. The resulting time savings allow for more efficient resource planning.
The use of an online portal provides an opportunity to reinforce the culture of telemedicine. Communication with doctors can become simpler and faster through a telemedicine app. Online prescription methods, automated appointment processes, and other arising options will further enhance customer experience and improve patient-doctor interaction.
Minimized medical errors
A human factor can lead to mistakes that undermine healthcare services. Automated processes and appropriate software eliminate human errors. The proper software can, for instance, check for certain contraindications or drug-to-drug interactions in prescribed medication.
Patient Portal Software
Self-service portals are a widespread solution. However, their features and functionality may vary. What should you look for when creating a custom patient portal? Here is the list of primary features.
- Fast and easy online registration. Asking a patient to fill in a digital registration form saves you time, reduces the risk of mistakes, and enhances the patient flow.
- Convenient interface. This includes easy navigation and smooth operation of the patient portal.
- Secure messaging. Encrypted messaging is critical for safe online communication for patients who choose this form of interaction with their physicians.
- Application programming interface (API) integration. This option allows connecting personal health solutions, such as glucose monitors, with healthcare institution software to sync patients’ health data.
- Push notifications. Many patients wish to get notified about their lab results, upcoming appointments, or prescription refills.
- Access to resources. A useful feature for patients seeking additional information about their condition or overall health.
Wrapping up: Patient Portal Development
So, how to develop and implement a custom patient portal? Let’s consider the most crucial steps of the process.
- Match your offers with your audience’s needs. Senior people are usually less accustomed to tech innovations than a younger generation. Therefore, you should start with assessing whether the portal will be useful for the hospital’s clientele.
- Select the features most demanded by users. Go on applying a customer-centric approach when choosing the features for your platform. Study your patients’ priorities and create your offers accordingly.
- Comply with patient portal requirements. Carefully consider all legal regulations, including HIPAA, your portal software should correspond to.
- Analyze the portal’s efficiency. Determine your key performance indicators and assess your gains according to them.
- Ensure superior data protection. Not only should you properly protect the sensitive information of your clients but also convince them that their data is secured.
- Cooperate with the right vendor. The market is full of software development companies, so, finding the right professional can be tough. Make your decision based on the organization’s experience and the solutions they offer. Then, formulate your specific purposes and head for technological advancements!